Filed under: Dogfish Head | Tags: death by chocolate, hazy, jumping, knocks you over, long finish, overwhelming, rich, sipper, syrup, Syrupy, whack, wispy
Originally published on Published on: Sep 6, 2008 @ 2:55
ABV: 21 %
Calories: estimated at 300 C
Volume: 12 fl oz
Purchased at: Circle Liquors Super Saver, Pennington, NJ
Consumed at: home
Former Impression: Wow. Knocks you over. 0-60 in 3 sips. The aroma fills the room with flowery hops. The malt is jumping. The bottle conditioning is a nice touch. I like a little haze in my 21% ABV ale (!). It’s syrupy with sweetness. It seems like a barleywine style, except for the IPA overtones. You are absolutely forced to sip and recover. The aftertaste is long, palate damaging, and delicious. I would find it hard to pair this with anything but the richest foods. This is the death by chocolate of hoppy beers. Thick yellowish head reduces to a wispy white foam with nice lacing. The reputation of this beer precedes it and it does not disappoint, though I thought I would enjoy it a bit more than I am, it simply whacks you over the head. It’s like trying to drink coke syrup. It’s exactly what I asked for, but as they say, be careful of what you ask for, they might serve it to you in a 12 oz bottle for 9 bucks.
Current Impression: It is the essential full bodied beer. There is no other like it, save for some Avery brews. It is overwhelming, delicious in very small quantities, and a force to be reckoned with. There is very little to compare to this collection of peach, cherry, chocolate syrup, hops bitterness, and mint leaves. Superb.
Filed under: Dogfish Head, IPA (shaker, tulip) | Tags: attractive, brilliant, enjoyable, hoppy, nice, overwhelming, pale, tasty
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (originally posted 6/1/2008)
Volume: 12 oz.
Glass: Okocim .5 L curved glass
Purchased at: Hopewell Valley Wines
Consumed on: 02/08/08
first impression: Nice though fleeting head. Scent overwhelming with hops in the best way. Quite pale and varied in color, and very clear. Just a bit bubbly and active in the glass. Hoppy bite is nice and heady. Fairly smooth, esp. compared to 90 Minute, and other hoppy brews, but still very nice. Good malty overtones. A very enjoyable brew, if a bit smooth for my tastes.
Visuals — Color, depth, belgian lace, legs: Color is rich and varied. Body is deep and malleable with movement. Lace is nice, if a bit light and airy.
Olfactory — Aroma: Hops are most present, thought the scent is a bit wheaty.
Taste — Hoppiness, bite, maltiness, flavor: Bite is nice but overtaken with sweetness and a bit of cloy, which intrudes. Still, very nice overall.
Tactile — weight, mouthfeel: Weight is good for a lighter brew. Stands tall as an IPA, almost as though it were a stout. Bites throughout tasting – a bit airy and carbonated, but not too much so.
second impression: A very nice brew, quite hoppy, a bit bitter, and tasty throughout. Color and weight are average, but flavor is enjoyable and attractive. Tends to be pricey for value.
Filed under: Dogfish Head
Color is deep amber and a little hazy, under a thinner white head with sticky lace. Taste is sweet and bitter, with a deep and delicious finish. Citrus and tingling notes throughout. Really simply fantastic. On tap at pizzeria uno hamilton, nj. Yes, i typed pizzeria uno again. Someone give the person with the craft beer fetish at uno’s a raise.
Filed under: Dogfish Head, Sampler Sessions | Tags: Alcohol by volume, beer, Dogfish Head Brewery, Drink, Food, Recreation, Twitter, Website
I’m participating in Twitter taste Live on Twitter tonight (Eastern Standard times listed below). For more info on what that means, please visit http://www.twittertastelive.com/events/twitter-taste-live-beer-exotic
and please consider joining us. It’s free, aside from getting the beers, and a hell of a lot of fun.
The beers are estimated using my formula to have a cumulative total calories of 2137.5 for the single consumer who finishes each of them. Wish me luck.
Interestingly, the beers are listed with FAR lower calories than my estimates on the DFH web sites, which I include for comparison.
Red & White – 8:05 pm (oak aged wit, snifter) http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/red-white.htm
25.4 fl oz * 10% ABV = 254 / 60 = 4.23 beers * 150C = 634.5 C estimated
Fort – 8:30 pm (fruit beer, snifter) http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/fort.htm
25.4 fl oz * 18% ABV = 457.2 / 60 = 7.62 beers * 150C = 1143 C estimated
Palo Santo Marron – 8:50 pm (wood aged brown ale, pint) http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/palo-santo-marron.htm
12 fl oz * 12% ABV = 144 / 60 = 2.4 beers * 150C = 360 C estimated
- @dogfishbeer I don’t want it to be like that, I love your brews, can’t you tell me how it affects my weight? After my loss, cmon #ttl
- @semperfifi so glad to hear it. #ttl
- @BahHumBrew flyingdog rocks esp imperial styles #ttl
- @dogfishbeer let’s talk. I don’t want to disrespect, I just want the truth. I love your beer, love my sense back. Calories matter!!!!!! #ttl
- @semperfifi I love the platform. #ttl
- @hopwild with great beer, who needs bread? ;) not me. #ttl
- @BahHumBrew it’s an amazing way to share, let’s do it more often! #ttl
- @TheBeerWench yeah, you’re impervious to calories, but for the rest of us, we need to consider a day’s worth in a sitting. #ttl
- @csjo #ttl is the greatest search term that ever existed. We try beer, and wine, and we tweet on it. Join us!
- @snax should never stop you, should just make you aware. I’m consuming about 2500 calories today, most of it (amazing) beer. #ttl
- RT @beertweeter: @dogfishbeer @zymoid @thebeerwench the best! great peeps, great brews! I’m sticking around #ttl
- @beercommdood exactly. I need some detail on why the Calories are reported so low. #ttl
- @beertweeter from tonight, Fort, all time? world wide stout #ttl
- RT @hopwild: thanks @dogfishbeer and @zymoid for joining us! thx @thebeerwench for hosting! #ttl
- @beercommdood she was interesting for sure! #ttl
- @Sandorsnow thanks! #ttl
- @semperfifi thanks! #ttl
- @dogfishbeer can you give me an @ for your lab dude? I have some questions. #ttl
- plus, it would take an elephant gun to kill you buzz, just sayin. #ttl
- hey, I have to consider the issue, or else I’m obese again. #ttl
- @dogfishbeer I appreciate that you are posting calories, but how do you come to your numbers? What’s the serving size? No disrespect. #ttl
- @lemasney whoa, 2000 C. sorry. #ttl
- @beertweeter I did — for single drinkers, it’s over 20000 calories, IMO. @dogfishbeer differs. http://beercritic.wordpress… #ttl
- wondering how to collect my tasting notes effectively for beercritic. #ttl
- RT @hopwild: dont forge to follow your fellow ttl-ers #ttl
- @kallardnyc re: the video feed? ;) #ttl
- @Sandorsnow still finishing bottle one, but I’m with you all the way #ttl
- RT @Lotay: “Crash Into Me” – Dave Matthews Band ♫ http://blip.fm/~2r99e
- @beercommdood interesting, for sure. #ttl
- @zymoid from you, that’s the ultimate compliment. You are a poet in physical action, and we all appreciated it here tonight. #ttl
- @Sandorsnow no, I was just leaving half of my bottle full. ;) #ttl
- @JugShop Beeeeelllllllccchch. #ttl
- enjoyed @dogfishbeer with you all tonight. Thanks! #ttl
- @TheAleuminati bye! #ttl
- @ErikBoles wish I was, dude. #ttl
- I’m so surprised by the flavors of the familiar PSM tonight — so much a coffee stout tonight, never before. #ttl
- @TheAleuminati oh yeah. #ttl
- @ErikBoles they are the reason I took to twitter for real interaction TTL rocks #ttl
- @beercommdood that’s a great summary #ttl
- RT @ErikBoles: @DFH‘s is like sex with a 40 year old woman when you are 21: it teaches you things you didn’t even know existed #ttl
- @Gservo cool, crazy, and chaotic, but fun, as usual. #ttl
- @BahHumBrew the warmth is essential, the aroma moves from subtlety to a command of your olfacatory #ttl
- @TheAleuminati so say we all! #ttl
- The flavors as it calms are like espresso. So very nice. #ttl
- @Gservo coming after we shut down — plenty of pourn, too! #ttl
- @TheAleuminati Hi right back! #ttl
- “the ones that count are here” That’s nice. #ttl
- @ErikBoles well done re: summary. #ttl
- @JugShop yeah, how about that. :/ #ttl
- has everyone seen the palo santo marron brewing video? Youtube it. @dogfishbeer #ttl
- @zymoid it’s such a beautiful layered series of flavors. Not nearly as complex as the others, but like eating a handful of roasted malt #ttl
- starts tart, and dark, middle is continuous toast, and finish is long ad burnt. The wood is omnipresent. #ttl
- Taste is chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, deep and dark burnt flavor. little sweetness present, this is all about malt. #ttl
- SPM is deep, woodsy aroma, sweet, and black as midnight in the woods. I’ve had it several times, but always enjoyable to anticipate. #ttl
- @panache yes! #ttl
- @Sandorsnow no, why do you ask? #ttl
- @zymoid most definitely. You have quite a product here. ;) #ttl
- So when is Santo Palo Marron? #ttl
- @ErikBoles exactly. #ttl
- see you, @beerphilosopher ! #ttl
- @AngelosTzelepis sorry if it makes you laugh. #ttl
- Dogfish head is brewing beers that make you rethink the very state of beer as an idea. They ask you to set aside your beer definition. #ttl
- I feel like the body in the glass is like a mirror, a look at hope for the future. It’s like a celebration in a glass, to share ;) #ttl
- RT @ErikBoles: RT @beerphilosopher: Friends don’t let friends drink Fort and Tweet … … #ttl NICE
- yeah hops seem secondary. this is about candy. #ttl
- The taste reminds me of stone ground wheat in texture, grape soda in aroma, and medicine in finish. The best medicine ever. #ttl
- definitely brandy, wheat, raspberry, and honey. Delicious. Agitation brings a strong aroma of whiskey, oak, and leaf mold. #ttl
- I doubt highly anyone will be able to taste the Palo Santo Marron. #ttl
- Surprisingly well balanced. Not sweet at first, sweetness emerges, nice burn throughout, and long wonderful finish. #ttl
- taste is deep, layered with flavors: raisin, cherry, plum, raspberry, citrus, bitterness, burns on the way down. So nice. #ttl
- No head at all, but the body is deep amber, just a touch of haze, and visually active in carbonation. #ttl
- Wow, Fort’s aroma is wonderful, sweet, and all about raspberries. Some cherry effects, grape soda, and candy all the way. #ttl
- @zymoid moving on to Fort then. Thanks! #ttl
- @beertweeter thanks! #ttl
- so are we moving on to Fort? #ttl
- 3-7-2009 7-53-43 PM.jpg [pic] http://ff.im/1oRc9
- @dogfishbeer @zymoid thanks for the great work that you do! #ttl
- @TheBeerWench we can make that happen next time. #ttl
- @dogfishbeer you make fantastic brews. Cheers! #ttl
- @beercommdood I don’t think so, it could just be my palate tonight. It’s def not off, but wondered. #ttl
- 8:20 what’s next up? Fort, I’m hoping. #ttl
- @kallardnyc Reign In Red & White #ttl
- I saw that trend post coming. Let’s rock it, tweeps. #ttl
- R&W there is definitely a bit of aluminum peeking through somehow. Delicious, not off putting, but surprising. @zymoid, ideas? #ttl
- Thanks, all. I think #TTL is the best way to share beers with friends. #ttl
- carbonation is not visually evident, but very evident in the palate. Like an ocean. The body is a summer sunset, with rain in the morn. #ttl
- mine is warming up nicely, and the aroma is reaching out into the room. #ttl
- sencondary tastes are about citrus and rind. The finish for me is lengthening. #ttl
- my sediment hasn’t made it into the glass yet, and it’s surprisingly clear. I must have stored it well. ;) #ttl
- not sweet at all, so much about the electric palate. very little bitterness, but finish is medium and very much about malt. #ttl
- @rgrace99 yep, just paused to record the video for the pour. Uploads later! #ttl
- first taste is amazing, very round in the mouth, spritzy and slightly metallic. electric palate, pins in the mouth. wonderful. #ttl
- red and white is Belgian aromatics, clear, red, and white head. Very nice to look at and brilliant. #ttl
- @beerphilosopher hey Shawn! Great to see you here! #ttl
- wow, that kind of blows. #ttl
- opened the fort since it was listed first in the listing. #ttl
- @dogfishbeer Fort up first #ttl
- @biergirl no disagreement. ;)
- now following @zymoid ;) #ttl
- @kyleroth haven’t done as much pairing as tasting, but encouraged. ;) #ttl
- Brooklyn Local 2 rocks! #ttl
- beers out. ;) #ttl
- @TheBeerWench you’re doing great. #ttl
- @TheBeerWench wonder what #ttl trends will do tonight, and how that will affect ustream. ;) Cool! stream looks good.
- @binendswine happy birthday! #ttl
- @MattsAquarium great, tasty, nice #beer like @dogfishbeer or @stronebrewingco
- @TheBeerWench so happy to hear you’re going ahead with it. #ustream rocks. #ttl
- RT @Bsimi: @rogersmithhotel will officially have @stfler22 @bsimi @chefdeRSH in on #ttl @dogfishbeer tonight. Sweet. #ttl
- doing some homework while waiting patiently for 8 pm to come.
Filed under: American Strong Ale (trappist), Dogfish Head | Tags: beautiful, chocolatey, coating, coffee, deep brown, dust, floral, fruit. almonds, fully opaque, grapes, heady, long roasted bitter finish, mostly roasted malts, oily, smooth, some lingering hops, spicy, sticky intricate lace, thin wispy tan head, unbalanced, wine, wood
12%abv*12 fl oz = 144/60 = 2.4 beers * 150c = 360
Purchased at: Canal’s Burlington, NJ for $3.99Aroma: heady, floral, grapes, wine, wood, dust.
Visuals: typical dfh package, deep brown, oily, fully opaque, thin wispy tan head, sticky intricate lace.
Taste: unbalanced, mostly roasted malts, some lingering hops, beautiful, chocolatey, coffee, fruit. almonds, spicy.
Palate: oily, smooth, coating, long roasted bitter finish.
Overall: A wonderful, beautiful, tasty brew. I’d have it again, and like many DFH, it’s hard to beat. Delicious.
Filed under: Dogfish Head, Stout (English pint) | Tags: beautiful, black, chocolate, coffee, delicious, roasted
From a bottle purchased at Super Saver, Pennington, NJ. Aroma of coffee and roasted malts. Very nice.
Mouthfeel is smooth, sweet, with a short finish. Some bitterness lingers. Okay palate.
Visuals are a long lasting off white, tan head with a deep black body. Beautiful.
Tastes delicious, very much like iced coffee. Nice caramel flavors lingers on. Great.
Not as hoppy as I prefer, but not bad by any stretch. Great job, as usual, DFH.